The current police department & training building is located at 1400 Marshall Road
The Police & Courts building at 1412 West Main Street was erected in 1964 and was expanded in 1978 and again in 1993. Prior to 1964 the police department was located at City Hall at 109 South Second street.
The first police vehicle purchased by the City of Jacksonville was a 1956 Ford (shown here with Clarence Garner, Jacksonville's first Chief of Police).
The first city jail was at 408 East Center and is still standing today.
Until 1956, Jacksonville had City Marshals (elected positions) for law enforcement.
- Gregory Martinal (dates unknown)
- Bruce Huffman (dates unknown)
- Clarence Garner: 1946-1956
*Clarence Garner was also the Night Marshall from 1944-1946
In 1956, Jacksonville created the position of Chief of Police.
- Clarence Garner: 1956-1958
- Olson Kennedy: 1958-1959
- Myron Traylor: 1959-1972
- Leonard Brickell: 1973-1975
- Tommy F. Robinson: 1975-1979
- John T. Shepherd: 1979-1982
- Franklin D. Neely: 1982-1991
- Don Tate: 1991-1994
- Larry R. Hibbs: 1994-2001
- N. Wayne Ruthven: 2002-2004
- Robert L. Baker: 2004-2008
- Gary L. Sipes: 2008-Present
Jacksonville Police Department Personnel:
The Department in 1965
The Department in 1977
The Department in 1984
The Department in 1993
The Department in 2002
The Department in 2008